New vehicle safety standards are coming to London - take action now
7 Jan 2021
A new HGV Safety Permit based on the new Direct Vision Standard (DVS) is required for all HGVs over 12 tonnes driving within Greater London. DVS is a key part of the Mayor of London’s Vision Zero plan to eliminate all deaths and serious injuries on London's streets. Please be aware that:
- The DVS operates in the same area as the existing Low Emission Zone (LEZ)
- The DVS uses a star rating system to rate HGVs based on how much a driver can see directly through their HGV cab windows, ranking from zero star (the lowest level of direct vision) to five stars (highest level of direct vision)
- To qualify for a permit, HGVs will require a minimum of a one star rating. Vehicles rated zero star will only be granted a permit if they are fitted with ‘safe system’ measures
- The permit scheme will operate 24 hours a day, every day of the year
- From 1 March 2021, HGVs not holding a permit, or in contravention of permit conditions, will be issued with a £550 Penalty Charge Notice (reduced to £275 if paid within 14 days) for each day the vehicle is driven within the DVS area
- The permit is free to obtain and available now
- Permit applications can take time to process so please apply now to ensure your vehicles have permits by 1st March 2021.
- Please do not delay – take action now.
Latest NewsFORS Annual Conference welcomes largest ever delegation
28 Nov 2023Construction Clients' Leadership Group
28 Nov 2023SSGB Refresh
28 Nov 2023